“Planting Seeds for Excellence Future Generation”
Milestones of Unram Faculty of Agriculture
Based on the Minister statement of PTIP on November 3 ,1962 in Mataram No.:139/1962 officially established the existence of a State University namely the University of Mataram (Unram) which consists of three faculties, namely:
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Animal Husbandry
In this regard, it instituted Ir. Sudarmanto (SPMA Mataram Director) as Chairman of Opening Preparation Unram Faculty of Agriculture. The lecture and lab were fully done in the building of State SPMA Mataram because at that time Unram hasn’t had its own building. The activities began on January 20, 1967, and the establishment was officially inaugurated based on Unram Presidium decree No. 20/03/IC/1967 on January 27, 1967 commencing on January 1, 1967. Subsequent to January 1, defined as the anniversary of Unram the Faculty of Agriculture.
The vision of Unram Faculty of Agriculture is to realize that international competitiveness in the development of sustainable farming systems in 2025. The vision is based on key values (core values) which are adhered to in carrying out any activities of academic and management, the quality, integrity, creativity, and vision for the future inovation.
Mission of Unram Faculty of Agriculture is to conduct education, research, and community service through the development and application of science and technology in agriculture to support sustainable agriculture, so as to meet the needs of qualified human resources and agricultural products and superior technology.
Agriculture is the implementation of the work of man to nature, especially plants and animals, in order to obtain optimum yield in order to meet its needs. The agricultural science is the science that study the farm with all its problems.
To run the mission and to realize vision above, the purpose of Unram Faculty of Agriculture:
- Increase the availability of academic facilities and infrastructure that support the improvement of the quality of learning.
- Produce the competent graduates who are characterized by staff who are skilled, competent, independent, character, entrepreneurial, and responsive to the development of science and technology in agriculture.
- Develop and discover the science and technology in agriculture.
- Disseminate and apply science and technology on society to support sustainable agricultural development.
- Establish and develop cooperation with other local, national, regional, and international.
To Achieve the goal of Unram Faculty of Agriculture, the targets are to be Achieved:
- Improve the quality of the learning process in accordance with standards established by the government.
- Improve the quality of graduates that can be accepted by the labor market at national, regional, and international.
- Improve the quality of research and reproduce the received IP packet technology.
- Improve services to the community in the form of dissemination and application of science and technology.
- Increase the power of collaboration networks (networking) with stakeholders (stakeholders) in an effort berpartsipasi for agricultural development.
Department and Study Program
In the implementation of academic and academic administrative functions, at the Faculty of Agriculture at the moment there are two departments, namely: Agriculture Department of Agricultural Economics and Social Department. To produce graduates who have expertise in various fields within the scope of Agricultural Sciences, Unram the Faculty of Agriculture currently offers four study programs are coordinated under the above two majors. Studies program under the Department of Agriculture: Agro-Technology and Aquaculture Study Program. Program under the Department of Socio-Economic Studies in Agriculture: PS – Agribusiness and Forestry Study Program.
Agribusiness Study Program
Agribusiness Study Program at the Department of Social Economics of Agriculture Faculty of Agriculture University of Mataram is the result of the merger of the courses that have been there before, namely and Agribusiness Study Program, Agricultural Extension and Communication Study Program. Therefore, Agribusiness Study Program has two studies of interest, namely:
- Interest in Agriculture Study
- Interest in Counseling Study
The Objective of Agribusiness Study Program:
- Produce graduates who have the competence to analyze, plan, implement and develop agribusiness activities.
- Produce graduates who have the creativity and scientific integrity in the field of agribusiness.
- Produce graduates who have the communication skills and attitudes that uphold honesty, fairness and truth.
- Produce graduates who are competent and creative in managing and developing agribusiness.
The expected competences by Unram Agribusiness Study Program Faculty of Agriculture are to create graduates who have the following competencies:
1) Agribusiness Manager.
Able to manage natural resources, human and social capital to improve the operating efficiency of the agribusiness system, Able to work within a multidisciplinary team, has an understanding of business ethics of environmentally sound agriculture.
2) Agribusiness Employers.
Able to design and development efforts of innovative agribusiness unit, creating a value-added and environmentally friendly, able to identify and manage opportunities, risks, and uncertainties in agribusiness.
3) Community Development Facilitator and Instructor.
Having sensitivity to the issues related to social and cultural development of Agribusiness; be able to formulate the strategies, methods, and resources used to enhance the community capacity on face the future agribusiness development challenges; be able to facilitate the dialogue within and between groups of agribusiness stakeholders to support the process of formulating and sustainability of policy involving public participation; researchers, agribusiness consultants, be able to think analytically and synthesis in Agribusiness Management; be able to effectively negotiate and communicate with stakeholder in the Agribusiness Development.
Agroecotechnology Studi Program
Agroecotechnology Study Program was officially established based on the decree of National Education Minister No. 176/0/2001. Based on the provision evaluation of education in Unram Faculty of Agriculture, it is necessary to attempt a merger between the existing study programs in order to efficiency of the implementation in the local community college. So, 5 Study Programs that are Agronomy Program, Soil Science Program, Plant Pests and Diseases Program, Horticulture Program, and Plant Breeding Program has been accredited B except the Soil Science Program Accredited C, has been merged into Agro-eco-technology Study Program. It was stated on the decree of Directorate General of Higher Education No. 1790/D/T/2009 October 5, 2009 about the merger of the Agricultural Sector Study Program.
Evaluation is conducted in order to obtain the accreditation status determined by The National Accreditation Board for Higher Education (BAN-PT). Unram Agro-eco-technology Study Program has compiled a SWOT description of each component according to the manual in order to analyze and development strategy. Agroecotechnology Study Programs attempt to compile the information based on the data of supporting objective program, facilities, infrastructure, and achievements to obtain of quality used as a reference of development and maintaining. Indeed, it is important to gain the confidence of providing education accordance with the recognition and quality assurance assigned by BAN-PT.
There are several competencies of Agro-eco-technology as follows: to produce the graduates with the capability of analyze, concerting, implement, and develop the activities of Cultivation Technology and Environmental Agricultural Cultivation Management; to produce the graduates with creative and scientific integrity in the field of Cultivation Technology and Environmental Agricultural Cultivation Management; to produce the graduates with competence and creative capability in Farms Management and Development; to produce the graduates with teamwork capability accordance with its competences.
Research. Research and publications conducted by lecturers of Agro echotechnology Study Program, which are: (1) Mass Selection for Improvement Getting The nature (Improved Population) Jatropha (Jatropha curcas L.) High Yield Character Development In order to support its growth in West Nusa Tenggara, (2 ) the Increasing of Soil Biota Diversity and Integrated Crop Management For Stem Rot Disease Control Scletrotium for Peanut, (3) Improved the capsules number of jarak pagar (Curcas L. Jatrapha) through Mass Sorting to Support its growth In Nusa Tenggara, (4 ) Biopesticidal Fertilizer increasing from the Silicate Rocks and Nimba plants For Environmental Pest Agricultural Production, (5) the shaping of superior variety Dryland Maize, Through Mass Selection In Independent culling levels, (6) Application of mushroom Trichoderma spp. (Isolate and Endo-02-07 04 As well SAPRO and 09) As Biofungisida, Decomposers and Bioaktifator Growth and Flowering Plants of Vanilla and Development in Food CroStudy Program and Horticulture More In NTB, (7) Application of Big Gun Sprinkle Irrigation Technology Development Center for Horticulture Production Dryland seed NTB Province; (8) Assessment and Aqronomi Ekofisiologi Intercropping Jatropha (ricinus communis L.) with Nuts CroStudy Program in Land Less Productive; (9) The shaping of superior Black Soybean variety with Rich of anthosianin, early maturing Age, Big Seeds, high Productivity, and Drought Tolerant Using Local Genetic Resources and Biotechnology; (10) Production Technology Development in Rice and Soybean rotation in Wetland Water Management Through Intermittent Vertisol, Biological fertilizer and compost utilization; (11) Utilization of Streptomyces Sp. Isolates Lombok As Bioagen For Disease Control Fusarium Wilt in Tomato Plants; (12) In Vitro Techniques To Improve Security of Local Cultivars of Peanut Plants Milky Disease Against Fusarium Wilt Fungus Sp.; (13) The development of pathogenic fungi to control the water hyacinth weed; (14 ) The development of the rust fungus to control weeds puzzle.
As we all know that research is one of three duties of college (Tridarma) that has to be done by lecturers. Thus, to fulfill it, there are some opportunities that can be utilized by all faculty staffs such as the regular funds provided by the faculty who come from non-tax revenues (PNPB) with number of Rp 9 million per each title, and routine fund is Rp. 5 million per each title. Other funding sources nationally sourced from the Higher Education Fundamental research program, Competitive Grant, Integrated Research Advancement, stragnas and others, with a fairly good level of uptake. It is characterized by the presence of some staff of the Faculty of Agriculture University of Mataram a research proposal accepted and funded at the national level (Fundamental studies are like, Competitive Grant, Integrated Research Advancement, and others) and internationally (ACIAR-Australia, Juelich, Germany, Canada ).
Research activities will continue to be improved because of these activities as one measurement of academic ability and scientific academia. Generally, compared with other faculty in University of Mataram, Faculty of Agriculture, is the most often which get a research grant from DIKTI P2M fund. Students’ involvement in lecturers’ research continuously reinforced primarily toward students who will eventually complete the final task (thesis). In fiscal year 2009 to 2010 research activities funded by the Higher Education, it has been absorbed 34 titles with a total funding about RP 1.9 billion, excluding research collaboration with government agencies and foreign funds on tobacco commodities, Jarak and aloes.
Marine Aquaculture Study Program
Being a leading study program in the field of marine aquaculture, particularly in the area Nusa Tenggara in 2020.
- To conduct a high qualified education in the field of sustainable aquaculture.
- To conduct and improve the quality as well as cooperation in the field of research which focused on the marine aquaculture.
- To organize the public service activities through the spreads and applications of science, technology and management of aquaculture.
- To produce a competent graduates who are spirited entrepreneurship in the field of aquaculture.
- To produce research that contributes to the development of science and technology of marine aquaculture.
- To disseminate and apply the science and technology particularly in marine aquaculture which sustainable to improve the welfare of the community.
Forestry Study Program
“Forestry Study Program as an institution of higher education that excels in forestry development and application of science and technology (IPTEK) and produce a competent human resources and having a good moral in the sustainable management of forest resources (sustainable forest management).”
- Conducting the education, research and public service in the field of forestry which emphasizes the principles of transparency, accountability, and optimization with based on moral values.
- Organizing the cooperation with various agencies to support the implementation of Higher Education Tri Dharma.
- Developing a best practices in applying IPTEK and share learning in the management of forest resources.
- Developing self-reliance efforts in supporting the Tridharma activities.
- Producing a competent human resources and able to participate in the management of forest resources.
- Producing IPTEK in the field of forestry that support sustainable development in regional and national levels.
- Applying IPTEK as the result of forestry education and research to support sustainable development in regional and national levels.
- Developing partnership in the implementation of education, research and public service.
- Developing an innovative and replicable models of forest resource management which appropriate to the local characteristics (NTB) as a medium of education, research and service.