University of Mataram has the symbol in the form of a lotus, consisting of leaves flanking the flower buds on a tray surrounded by the writings of the University of Mataram in a shaded pentagon. The details and the meaning of the symbol are as follow:
- Lotus leaves as many as 63 (sixty-three) symbolizes the commencement of the University of Mataram. Stemmed as many as twelve symbolizes its month of commencement.
- Lotus flower buds flanked by leaf symbolizes science that fostered and developed in the University of Mataram.
- Green leaves symbolizing science that fostered and developed filled by hope. The students as learners at the University of Mataram are in their fresh state, ready to accept education.
- Lotus flower buds that are pink symbolizes science devoted to students as learners with a sense of affection, like the love of a mother (the alma mater) for her child.
- The leaf and lotus flower buds are placed in a black tray. The tray symbolizes the university as a giver of life and science. The black color symbolizes the nature of science.
- The bottom and the top of the tray which each illustrated duplex symbolize the two islands of Lombok and Sumbawa Island into a single entity called West Nusa Tenggara.
- University of Mataram circular Writing outside the red lotus leaf implies Mataram University carry out its duties as an institution of higher education with a strong will.
- Shaded pentagon , bordered by a black line as a boundary around the emblem symbolizes the philosophy of Pancasila which is the basis of education.
- The middle of a lotus flower buds form of a dome, symbolizing the spiritual nature of science that nurtured and developed by the University of Mataram. Black color lines encircling the dome symbolizes the eternal of science.